It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 171 Contempt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:58 am 

rrenault wrote:
By inferior source, you mean shots like these?

Yes, that's one of the scenes. From memory, it affects about five minutes of material.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:56 am 

RossyG wrote:
To my untutored eye the Studio Canal BD looked fine. A handful of scenes are of slightly lesser quality, but that's explained in the set: they came from an inferior source.

So there's room for improvement, but I don't consider it a disaster at all. In fact, I'd give the whole disc a solid 4 out of 5.
Also, wasn't the Criterion DVD precisely the same? If they had done the Blu-ray they probably would have ended up with the same result.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:33 am 

No, the Criterion transfer is much darker and more bluish, it's not the same at all (see Beaver). The StudioCanal looks much better to me - but would be cool to see this new restoration on Blu eventually!

edit: sorry, you meant the same source materials of course, which is probably true - but either way the colours look better on the SC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:48 am 

I saw the trailer for the film at Film Forum the other day, and there was a noticeable golden hue to the look of the film that I don't think is captured on the Criterion DVD or Studio Canal blu ray.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 am 
Dot Com Dom

Has anyone read this collection of essays on Contempt edited by Colin MacCabe and Laura Mulvey?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:33 pm 

Publisher's website has the table of contents if that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 am 

I've read the collection of essays and it was well worth it. About 50% of the essays had value (which is more than usual in these collections). It is available on an interlibrary loan through WorldCat if you have a local library close by. Some of the articles had several small screencaps that helped visualize the authors' points. I wish more academic studies used screencaps because film is, after all, a visual medium!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:33 am 

I saw this at MoMI today. It was preceded by Breathless which looked gorgeous projected from a 35mm print (struck from the 2010 restoration supervised by Raoul Coutard). Contempt, on the other hand, came from a DCP, and from the looks of it, it was created from the same master used to create the BD, because the same problems were there. To be blunt, it was a crummy looking DCP - I don't know when it was created, but it looked like an old 2k transfer, and besides the inferior source material used for certain scenes (as discussed in this thread), it felt like some heavy de-graining might've been used as some things looked pretty waxy. (This was especially true in the long shots.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:23 am 

Every time this thread is bumped, my hopes go sky-high.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6