556 Senso

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
kinjitsu

556 Senso

#1 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Senso

Image Image

This lush, Technicolor tragic romance from Luchino Visconti stars Alida Valli as a nineteenth-century Italian countess who, amid the Austrian occupation of her country, puts her marriage and political principles on the line by engaging in a torrid affair with a dashing Austrian lieutenant, played by Farley Granger. Gilded with fearless performances, ornate costumes and sets, and a rich classical soundtrack, Visconti’s operatic melodrama is an extraordinary evocation of reckless emotions and deranged lust from one of the cinema’s great sensualists.

Disc Features

- The celebrated Film Foundation/Cineteca di Bologna digital restoration, created in consultation with cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno and Martin Scorsese (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
- The Wanton Countess, the rarely seen English-language version of the film
- The Making of “Senso,” a new documentary featuring Rotunno, assistant director Francesco Rosi, costume designer Piero Tosi, and Caterina D’Amico, daughter of screenwriter Suso Cecchi D’Amico and author of Life and Work of Luchino Visconti
- Viva VERDI, a new documentary on Visconti, Senso, and opera
- Visual essay by film scholar Peter Cowie
- Man of Three Worlds: Luchino Visconti, a 1966 BBC program exploring Visconti’s mastery of cinema, theater, and opera direction
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by filmmaker and author Mark Rappaport and an excerpt from actor Farley Granger’s autobiography, Include Me Out

DVD:
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
Blu-ray:
Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

Tommaso

Re: 556 Senso

#2 Post by Tommaso » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm

The extras seem to be among the greatest in recent history. Truly great, can't wait for this release. Won't even wait for the next B&N-sale, I suppose...

aox

#3 Post by aox » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Safe to assume that this will be a two-disc digi like the Leopard since it includes The Wanton Countess?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#4 Post by Brian C » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:48 pm

It says 1-disc $39.95 on the site...this is almost an hour shorter than The Leopard.

Emilio

#5 Post by Emilio » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:50 pm

FINALLY!!!

atcolomb

#6 Post by atcolomb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Saw clips of this film from Scorsese's "My Voyage To Italy" (1999) and it's one film i would want in my collection since i have almost all of Visconti's work that has been released on dvd.

Jeff

#7 Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 am

This doesn't contain either of the lengthy docs from the StudioCanal Collection release, but it's stacked in its own right. The sell sheets don't credit StudioCanal at all, so it appears that they don't own the U.S. rights and we don't have to worry about this quickly going out of print. It is licensed from Cristaldi Film, like Amarcord and many other Italian films.

HistoryProf

#8 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:16 am

I'm so happy. Been wanting this for so long. and a wonderful line-up of extras....if only they hadn't farmed the art out to a nearby middle school.

BsRoz

#9 Post by BsRoz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 am

Really looking forward to this one. The Studio Canal release was somewhat unfortunate in terms of audio-licensing, but if the same restoration is used - we're in for a treat.

jojo

#10 Post by jojo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Alida Valli. This is truly one of the most melodramatic performances I've ever seen. The cinematography is truly beautiful. although the print I saw last year had a slight brownish-tinge. Would be interested in seeing how it looks on BD.

Thomas Dukenfield

#11 Post by Thomas Dukenfield » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:22 pm

This is one of my least favorite Visconti films (although I have yet to see The Stranger), although I only saw it on VHS maybe 7 years ago. I only like Alida in evil roles for some reason, and I thought both leads were totally miscast. However, I do want to revisit it, and it no doubt will impress at least visually on blu-ray. I'll take any Visconti on blu (I may explode if The Damned is released in 1080).

Also, I kind of like the cover, but it does seem rather obvious.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#12 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:22 am

I thought both leads were totally miscast.
I think Valli is fine... for me the problem is Granger who looks far too boyish...

Yojimbo

#13 Post by Yojimbo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:56 am

I will be waiting for the next B&N/Deep Discount sale to buy it; its my joint favourite Visconti, along with 'Ossessione', so even though I already have a DVD copy, this one looks a 'must buy'

jojo

#14 Post by jojo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:
I thought both leads were totally miscast.
I think Valli is fine... for me the problem is Granger who looks far too boyish...
Well, it IS essentially a young man-older woman story... :)

Don Lope de Aguirre

#15 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:01 am

Well, it IS essentially a young man-older woman story
How big is the age gap? It feels almost like an aunt-nephew romance.

I must admit I am no fan of Granger. He seems to lack the required carnality...

oldsheperd

#16 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Has anyone seen the Tinto Brass version Senso 45?

jojo

#17 Post by jojo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:How big is the age gap? It feels almost like an aunt-nephew romance.

I must admit I am no fan of Granger. He seems to lack the required carnality.
I don't recall if it was ever specified in the film, but my impression was that there could be close to a 20 year gap. Valli is probably around 40 or so, and Granger's character I felt was supposed to be in his early 20s or so.

My main problem with Granger is that he has this nudge-nudge-wink-wink tone to his performance, whereas Valli plays up her admittedly hysterical character with absolute conviction and straightness. It doesn't seem to entirely mesh all the time. At least to me.

rohmerin

#18 Post by rohmerin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:15 am

oldsheperd wrote:Has anyone seen the Tinto Brass version Senso 45?
I enjoyed very much all the Salò last days in Venice because I'm interested in that part of their History. The film is not good mainly because the Nazi guy is an awful, bad, horrible actor and his fake blonde hair freaked me out. Morricone's score is beautiful and Anna Galiena is superb but I repeat, the film is not good. May be too long.

You can search for more information on this site. This man looks an expert and/or super fan of Brass, his Col cuore in gola analysis is impressive.

Senso will be my 2nd American Blu Ray after Il gattopardo, but I'm unable to play it. Bloody regions!

Minkin

#19 Post by Minkin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:04 pm

John Edmond

#20 Post by John Edmond » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Too bright or just right? Where's Hare when you need him?

DanV

#21 Post by DanV » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:42 pm

(IMO) Just wrong, frankly speaking; manipulated to say the least, and it shows gigantic artifacts. What's this stuff, Crit? :cry: I was hoping for a better transfer. It seems I'll keep my Studio Canal.

Jeff

#22 Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:00 pm

I have no technical expertise whatsoever, but the StudioCanal disc looks brighter overall to me (whiter whites and whatnot). The Criterion colors seem somewhat more natural. I cannot see the "gigantic artifacts" either, just film grain. Which caps are they in, and what should I be looking for?

SpiderBaby

#23 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:06 pm

I agree with Jeff on this one. The Criterion one looks more natural and colorful.

John Edmond

#24 Post by John Edmond » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:15 pm

It's the opera sequence captures that jarred with me. The gold looks almost like a plain yellow. But then I haven't seen Senso for a long time, and even then only in a trashed condition.

Michael

#25 Post by Michael » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 am

Criterions release of Senso deserves an all-out celebration from every one of us, fan of Criterion, Visconti, or cinema. Simply because jewels like Senso could have fallen through a crack and become forgotten for eternity. But thanks to Criterion, Scorsese and a bunch of folks, for rescuing Senso back to its rare splendor. It is a triumph in every sense.

I watched the film last night. My eye already overflowed with tears the second the gorgeous credits spilled across an opera playing, a single take before we reached the gold-blue heaven of La Fenice teatro. Tears cascading more and more until the film dissolved in steel-cold black and beyond. Tears were not only for Visconti's lush direction or Valli's soul-crushing performance but for the sheer miracle that the film made it to the world of Blu-ray after sooo many years years of waiting to revisit the film since viewing a depressing VHS copy 20 years ago. For those of you who are about to see Senso for the first time, you are extremely lucky.

What can I say about the film? Especially the morning after viewing it. It feels like I just had lived the most beautiful dream. Back to work trying to focus on my duties, my mind still longs to wander with Valli through night canals, piazze, alleys, villas, barns and roads.

I don't have an issue with the casting of Farley Granger like some people do. I really savored every move he made - his boyish looks and all. My gaydar beeped every time he appeared. Even though Visconti originally wanted Marlon Brando for the role, Farley Granger being in the Visconti world makes perfectly sense to me. At times I sensed Visconti strongly in the role of Livia, in the performance of Valli with Farley being the "taboo love". The whole closeted-gay vibe (which was probably what Visconti was that time) is very deeply felt in that role of Livia.