544-550 America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, The Last Picture Show, etc.)

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
oldsheperd

Re: 544-550 America Lost and Found: The BBS Story

#26 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 am

Hopefully the trailer for Head is included. It's weird and disturbing.

agnamaracs

#27 Post by agnamaracs » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 am

mfunk9786 wrote:It's these kinds of releases that make me oh so thankful for the Barnes and Noble sale.
Wait, WHAT??? How often do these sales happen? Is there a thread somewhere that keeps track of them?

Also, I would definitely have liked to have hear Nesmith, but as usual, he seems too busy (doing...?) to Monkee around. It'd be interesting to see how Head and the TV show influenced his later video work (Elephant Parts and so forth).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

agnamaracs wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:It's these kinds of releases that make me oh so thankful for the Barnes and Noble sale.
Wait, WHAT??? How often do these sales happen? Is there a thread somewhere that keeps track of them?
Ever since July of last year, B&N has had a 50% off sale every single July and November. So this is clearly something we can count on happening for the rest of our lives.

atcolomb

#29 Post by atcolomb » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Criterion did release Five Easy Pieces and The Last Picture Show on laserdisc so it is nice to see them back and to see a new print of King Of Marvin Gardens...one of my favorites. Now I have Easy Rider on laserdisc, two on dvd, one on blu-ray....hate to buy another copy...that would make 5!!

flyonthewall2983

#30 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:37 pm

swo17 wrote:
agnamaracs wrote:
Ever since July of last year, B&N has had a 50% off sale every single July and November. So this is clearly something we can count on happening for the rest of our lives.
Stupid question, but does that go for their website too?

ccfixx

#31 Post by ccfixx » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Stupid question, but does that go for their website too?
Barnes & Nobles' website... yes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Sorry, one last question: What's a website?

ccfixx

#33 Post by ccfixx » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:49 pm

swo17 wrote:Ever since July of last year, B&N has had a 50% off sale every single July and November. So this is clearly something we can count on happening for the rest of our lives.
This comment makes it sound like it's so common when in reality the sale has only ever happened three times... July 2009, November 2009, & July 2010.

ccfixx

#34 Post by ccfixx » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:Sorry, one last question: What's a website?
Even though I know you're being a smart-ass, domino... ;)
A website is a collection of related web pages, images, videos or other digital assets that are addressed relative to a common Uniform Resource Locator (URL), often consisting of only the domain name, or the IP address, and the root path ('/') in an Internet Protocol-based network. A web site is hosted on at least one web server, accessible via a network such as the Internet or a private local area network.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#35 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:24 pm

For the record, I was also being a smart ass.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#36 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:27 pm

For the record: no one here has ever not been a smart ass.

godardslave

#37 Post by godardslave » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

swo17 wrote:For the record, I was also being a smart ass.
mfunk9786 wrote:For the record: no one here has ever not been a smart ass.
Stop being smart asses. =;

oldsheperd

#38 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Seriously, we're all very serious, smart, mature adults. Seriously.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm

perkizitore

#40 Post by perkizitore » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Is this your new dog, Domino?

JesusoFmonteVideo

#41 Post by JesusoFmonteVideo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 pm

I read somewhere last week where B&N is being bought or they are selling so that might have an effect on future criterion 50% sales. Deepdiscount is offers virtually the exact same price (they're movies on sale are about $1 more, but they do tax you) and they have sales all the time. They have one going on right now (just purchased L'enfance Nue for 16.47 + free shipping), but even when it wasn't going on I picked up Crumb BD for about $25 (it's only 21 and some change now), so I would say that Deepdiscount is a lot better bet to get cheap criterion's than B&N. Their only downside is slow shipping.

I'm pleased they finally added Nicholson to the collection...w/ a vengeance! Now whatever happened to that Hellman box set that was being floated around as a release? I thought that would be Nicholson's introduction.

foofighters7

#42 Post by foofighters7 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 pm

to me this is a truly confusing set. Seems very...weird for them to do this set.

I love it, don't get me wrong, but Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show have good releases already.

Seems a bit odd that they are releasing these. A bit out of character.

Still happy to see the set though.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#43 Post by Brian C » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:41 pm

foofighters7 wrote:Seems a bit odd that they are releasing these. A bit out of character.
Their "character", though, has always been defined in large part, especially during the DVD era, by the licenses they've been able to secure. Now that studios are throwing the doors open on a lot of stuff previously unavailable to them, it's only natural to expect that "character" to change.

foofighters7

#44 Post by foofighters7 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Clearly, the dvd gravy train has lost a few of its biscuit wheels.

Companies now see the cash potential in licensing off titles to Criterion.

What I find to be out of character is the fact they are releasing titles that already have decent if not good releases available such as Crumb, Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show.

I have a feeling this might continue as more licenses for well-known films become available. We might start to see even more films that, although being a fantastic addition to the Collection are really not needed if they already have a solid release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:33 pm

This release of the Last Picture Show piles on a ton of exclusive extras and puts 'em on a Blu-ray. This is indeed something worthy of Criterion

foofighters7

#46 Post by foofighters7 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:39 pm

Yeah the extras and the Blu are great I guess. Perhaps I'm just a bit pissed I just bought the Nickelodeon/Last Picture Show dvd awhile back. Of course this just means I will triple dip on bloody LPS.

HistoryProf

#47 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:59 pm

movielocke wrote:
perkizitore wrote:I bet you can pick this up for $35 on release date! Too bad the DVD set isn't eligible :P
I bet you can't. This releases two days before Thanksgiving. IF there is a november sale, it will certainly be over before the week of Black Friday.
i'm almost positive it went to the first week of December last year...because I remember Thanksgiving cutting into my ability to buy more since I was out of town away from any B&N because of the holiday. I'll just put it on my xmas list if it doesn't make the cut anyway though. make someone else buy it for me :)
domino harvey wrote:This release of the Last Picture Show piles on a ton of exclusive extras and puts 'em on a Blu-ray. This is indeed something worthy of Criterion
That's the only one I already have...but i've had the old original release for years, so i'm more than happy to double dip on that one - especially to get Head and Five Easy Pieces on blu. LPS should look glorious in Hi-Def, as I recall being impressed with how clean the dvd transfer was to begin with. Should be a phenomenal release.

I can't believe for a minute, however, that they would do a digipack set like the Columbia sets. They need something to put spine #s on, so I think it'll be more like the Rohmer and Robeson boxes in both formats - digipacks, but not the fold out kind. The two films on one disc quandary will be interesting to see however...I can't really figure out how they'll deal with that - the only thing I can imagine is one of those old 50s sci-fi books with the blue spines where each half is one of the two books, with each cover being the respective fronts. That'd be kind of fun.

I think this is a fabulous release though...something that really brings Criterion back to their roots...I can't wait to own it.

Roger Ryan

#48 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:46 am

The box set has a nice title, too; much better than "The New Hollywood".

Although I'm a huge fan of both THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and FIVE EASY PIECES, I never got around to picking up DVD copies so I'm quite happy to have Blu-rays of these two. I never cared much for EASY RIDER, am amused by HEAD and have not even seen the remaining three films. All the same, I've been drooling over the possibility of this box being released for over a year-and-a-half. This was a wonderful era for American filmmaking and it's a pleasure to see this sample of it treated so well.

doowop82

#49 Post by doowop82 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 am

Wonderful to see these titles make their way into the collection. Great to see Five Easy Pieces get a more respectful DVD/BD release.

Person

#50 Post by Person » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:32 am

doowop82 wrote:Wonderful to see these titles make their way into the collection. Great to see Five Easy Pieces get a more respectful DVD/BD release.
This would be the main draw for me as I love the film and the current DVD is pretty crummy. But the BR of Easy Rider is good and a separate BR of The Last Picture Show would have been profitable for Sony. I was expecting Head to be a stand-alone release from Criterion too. As enticing as this set seems, maybe it's a bit too much, a bit disparate, despite the films having things in common. I would have preferred individual releases. But it does look like an intriguing set.