286 Divorce Italian Style

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Martha

286 Divorce Italian Style

#1 Post by Martha » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:14 pm

Divorce Italian Style

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1711/286_divorce_w128.jpg[/img]

Baron Ferdinando Cefalù (Marcello Mastroianni) longs to marry his nubile young cousin Angela (Stefania Sandrelli), but one obstacle stands in his way: his fatuous and fawning wife, Rosalia (Daniela Rocca). His solution? Since divorce is illegal, he hatches a plan to lure his spouse into the arms of another and then murder her in a justifiable effort to save his honor. The Criterion Collection is proud to present director Pietro Germi's hilarious and cutting satire of Sicilian male-chauvinist culture, winner of the 1962 Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay.

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

-New, restored high-definition digital transfer
-Pietro Germi: The Man with the Cigar in His Mouth, a 39-minute documentary by critic and filmmaker Mario Sesti featuring interviews with Germi’s longtime friends and collaborators
-Delighting in Contrasts, a new 30-minute collection of interviews with Sesti and actors Lando Buzzanca and Stefania Sandrelli discussing Germi on the set of Divorce Italian Style
-An interview with screenwriter Ennio De Concini
-Rare screen-test footage of actresses Daniela Rocca and Stefania Sandrelli
-New and improved English subtitle translation
-Plus: a 28-page booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Stuart Klawans and reprinted pieces by director Martin Scorsese and film historian Andrew Sarris

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled
Last edited by Martha on Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Poncho Punch

#2 Post by Poncho Punch » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:21 pm

...and this one shoots up to the top of my "to buy" list.

denti alligator

#3 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:21 pm

So why the lukewarm to negative reaction to this film when it was first rumored. It's got Marcello! it can't be that uninteresting, can it?

Also: is this it for April? 2 releases?

Sai

#4 Post by Sai » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:23 pm

Is it just me or do the extra's sound a bit disappointing? A little over one hour and no mentioning of 'More!'.

denti alligator

#5 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:38 pm

True, unless the screen-test footage is long this all could fit on one dual-layered disc, no?

Dylan

#6 Post by Dylan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:11 pm

Marcello Mastroianni is my favorite actor, and this film is definitely one of my all-time favorites, but I've only seen it once and the transfer wasn't so great (but it was very watchable: it aired on TCM). I definitely wasn't expecting more than a single disc release from Criterion, so a two disc release is quite a wonderful surprise for me. I eagerly await watching it again.

I only found out recently that the beautiful Stefania Sandrelli played the cousin, she was so young in this, but I saw this before I knew who she was. I've seen her work with Bertolucci since and have grown quite found of her (especially in "Conformist" and her brief role in "1900").

Dylan

Eric

#7 Post by Eric » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:18 pm

"winner of the 1962 Academy Award® for Best Original Screenplay."
Jeebus, here's what it beat (and, on a related note, the screenplay nominations in the 1960s were always so cool):

Freud - Charles Kaufman; Wolfgang Reinhardt
Last Year at Marienbad - Alain Robbe-Grillet
That Touch of Mink - Stanley Shapiro; Nate Monaster
Through a Glass Darkly - Ingmar Bergman

Gordon

#8 Post by Gordon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:30 pm

Looks like Pietro Germi is the 2005 beneficiary of The Criterion Collection Forgotten Italian Director Legacy Rehabilitation Project after Mario Monicelli (2001), Ermanno Olmi (2003), and Francesco Rosi (2004). Keep 'em coming!
Maybe next year, Dino Risi will get some recognition. A Difficult Life (1961) is one of the best Italian films ever made, if you ask me. I Mostri is a time-capsule gem, Il Sorpasso is an extraordinary, beautiful film. Oh, and his original version of Scent of a Woman has far more beauty and humour than the Pacino remake.

Anyway, I'm delighted that Divorce Italian Style is finally being treated with respect on home video. It's a beauty! Mastroianni is a god to me! Fans of Mastroianni may not be aware that Marcello Mastroianni: I Remember is on DVD. It's an epic, hilarious movie memoir from the coolest Star of them all.

Gregory

#9 Post by Gregory » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:21 pm

I found a basic review of the film in the University of Oregon's newspaper online. Some may find it interesting.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#10 Post by Tribe » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:26 pm

Aside from the Criterion blurb synopsis, I've never heard of this one. Some substantive comments about it, please?

Tribe

Gregory

#11 Post by Gregory » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:41 pm

In addition to the review I already linked, here's another one, from the New York Times:

Cinephrenic

#12 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:01 pm

Forgotten Italian directors...I'd add Marco Bellocchio's Fists in the Pocket, and Taviani's Padre Padrone.

I'm surprised on the amount of extras and attention Criterion gave to this one. Expecially a 28-page booklet.

zedz

#13 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:57 pm

If Bellocchio and the Tavianis are now officially 'forgotten directors' then we're in big trouble! I heartily second cinephrenic's suggestions.

Michael

#14 Post by Michael » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:25 pm

What a great film! I picked up the Hens Tooth DVD at the local library.. the transfer was frightening - heavy with scratches, ugly spots.. my goodness. Very happy that Criterion picked up this film.

A far cry from the "sterotypical" Italian comedies loaded with cliches that I grew up watching on TV with my Italian grandparents. Divorce is great fun.. and must see for those who dig dark and sick humor. Yes, sick. I never expected this.

Even though the film deals partly with the ancient Sicilian culture and politics, the film never feels dated. Even though divorce is permitted in todays Italy, the film still feels refreshing. There is a lot going on in every frame - the careful attention to all the tiny details of gestures, interactions, characters, settings, etc. really confirms that Germi is a great director. The priests blaming the ills of the town on the screening of La Dolce Vita is impossibly hilarious. That whole sequence of the folks watching the Fellini film is exciting and breathtaking. I don't think I will ever forget the last scene of the film... very cleverly done.

I can't wait to get the DVD for my birthday.

Michael

#15 Post by Michael » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:05 am

Was Divorce controversial when it first came out in Italy? I don't know because it was released after the more risky La Dolce Vita.

I was reading a bunch of different criticisms of Divorce and some described Germi as being a misogynist (I'm starting to hate this word now)...huh? How can that be? I think Marcello Mastroianni's character makes men look a lot pathetic.
SpoilerShow
The wife bravely walks out the marriage to be with her true love before the husband has the chance to kill her. Hoooraay for her!
I really love the film's sick humor and incredibly messed up characters. This is the kind of film you can kick back and watch once every week after a long day of work. Yes, that means "pre-order = must!".

cdnchris
Site Admin

#16 Post by cdnchris » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:37 am

As soon as I read the synopsis on the day of announcement I went to Amazon and pre-ordered it right away. Sounds like my kind of film, and I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. While I'm sure (hoping) it will be darker, the plot reminded me of How to Murder Your Wife in a small way, which I grew up loving (haven't seen it in a while, though.) So this is a blind buy without question, along with F For Fake (which I've been dying to see for years anyways). Sick humour is right up my alley.

Andre Jurieu

#17 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:54 am

Michael wrote: I was reading a bunch of different criticisms of Divorce and some described Germi as being a misogynist (I'm starting to hate this word now)...huh? How can that be? I think Marcello Mastroianni's character makes men look a lot pathetic.
Because people constantly jump to conclusions without having reflected on the meaning within the message. The basics of the plot make the film appear misogynistic, and people love throwing around terms such as this without considering whether the term correctly fits the situation it is being associated to.

richast2

#18 Post by richast2 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:42 pm

See also Fellini's City of Women

Michael

#19 Post by Michael » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:47 pm

Is Divorce the film Germi is mostly known for? In other words, his most famous film?

Gregory

#20 Post by Gregory » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:50 pm

Yes, in the United States at least, followed by Seduced and Abandoned.

tavernier

#21 Post by tavernier » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:55 pm

Just watched the new disc.....the transfer is so-so, not among Criterion's better-looking ones, but the movie is still hilarious! The second disc is good for introducing Germi to those who don't know him. Now if Criterion can start getting to the rest of Olmi and some Bellocchio and Wertmuller, I'll be a happy Italian cinephile!

Napier

#22 Post by Napier » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:19 pm

Review is up at DVD Beaver

flambeur

#23 Post by flambeur » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:08 pm

I guess you can f___ ing wait on this one...

Napier

#24 Post by Napier » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:29 pm

Not as excited about this one. If you notice F for Fake got 5 of 5, but as of yet nothing for Divorce? Maybe cropping or something? We'll stay tuned anyhow.

Dylan

#25 Post by Dylan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:41 pm

The transfer looks great to me. Then again, this is one of my favorite films (and one of the greatest comedies ever made). Very much looking forward to seeing it again in such a clean print.