1083 Pariah

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

1083 Pariah

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:20 pm

Pariah

The path to living as one’s authentic self is paved with trials and tribulations in this revelatory, assured feature debut by Dee Rees—the all-too-rare coming-of-age tale to honestly represent the experiences of queer Black women. Grounded in the fine-grained specificity and deft characterizations of Rees’s script and built around a beautifully layered performance from Adepero Oduye, Pariah follows Brooklyn teenager Alike, who is dealing with the emotional minefields of both first love and heartache and the disapproval of her family as she navigates the expression of her gender and sexual identities within a system that does not make space for them. Achieving an aching intimacy with its subject through the expressive cinematography of Bradford Young, this deeply felt portrait finds strength in vulnerability and liberation in letting go.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • 2K digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between director Dee Rees and filmmaker and scholar Michelle Parkerson
  • New cast reunion featuring Rees, Adepero Oduye, Pernell Walker, Kim Wayans, Charles Parnell, and Aasha Davis, moderated by scholar Jacqueline Stewart
  • New program on the making of the film, featuring Rees, cinematographer Bradford Young, production designer Inbal Weinberg, producer Nekisa Cooper, and editor Mako Kamitsuna, moderated by Stewart
  • New interview with film scholar Kara Keeling, author of Queer Times, Black Futures
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    PLUS: An essay by critic Cassie da Costa

CSM126

Re: 1083 Pariah

#2 Post by CSM126 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:13 pm

This is one I expected a long time ago, but better late than never. Wonderful film, and an excellent choice for the wave of woman/POC filmmakers entering the collection. Pariah is full of raw honesty that makes its story of a gay, gender non-conforming POC feel accessible to anyone.

knives

#3 Post by knives » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:33 pm

I’m surprised they didn’t include the original short. Otherwise another great film that I’m glad is getting some sunshine.

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:01 pm

knives wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:33 pm
I’m surprised they didn’t include the original short.
Yeah it's enough of a glaring omission where I wonder if Dee Rees specifically didn't want it included, since she's clearly very involved in this release