Near the end of his long and celebrated career, master filmmaker Jean Renoir indulged his lifelong obsession with life-as-theater and directed The Golden Coach (1953), French Cancan (1955), and Elena and Her Men (1956), three delirious films infatuated with the past, love, and artifice. Awash in jubilant Technicolor, each film interweaves public display and private feelings through the talents of three immortal film icons-Anna Magnani, Jean Gabin, and Ingrid Bergman. The Criterion Collection is proud to present these three majestic films by Jean Renoir for the first time on DVD.
The following DVDs are included in this set:
- Introductions to The Golden Coach and Elena and Her Men by Jean Renoir
- Video introduction to The Golden Coach by filmmaker Martin Scorsese
- Video introduction to French Cancan by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
- Jean Renoir-Hollywood and BeyondPart two of the BBC documentary by David Thompson
- Three part interview with Renoir: Jean renoir parle de son art, conducted by French New Wave director Jacques Rivette
- Galleries of production stills